Lyrics by Tim Rice
Music by Andrew Lloyd Webber
Director – Angèlica Forcier Rosenthal
Music Director – Amanda Morgan
Choreographer – Jennifer Ryder
Producer – Evelynn Decker
IMPORTANT – A/S voted the evening of Jan 21, 2022 that all cast and crew will need to be fully vaccinated to participate in this production.
If you are not fully vaccinated by auditions you must submit a video audition. For in-person auditions you must be fully vaccinated. A booster is not required for in-person auditions due to short notice but will be required to participate in rehearsals and performances. Please bring your vax card or photo of your vax card to auditions. Masks will be required at all times at auditions.
Please submit on-line audition form BEFORE you arrive to auditions. (Online audition form link here)
You will be assigned a number when you check in.
Important! Auditions will be held at Broadway Bound Performing Arts center
We will be holding auditions in Merrimack NH at Broadway Bound Performing Arts center
- The address of Broadway Bound is 501 Daniel Webster Highway, Merrimack, New Hampshire 03054
- We are very grateful for the use of the Broadway Bound facility to hold auditions while some air filtration work is scheduled at Actorsingers hall.
- Masks must be worn
- Hand sanitizer will be available
- Was held Friday Jan. 7 at 7 pm
- Please refer to this page for the details shared that night or e-mail Joseph2022@actorsingers.org to contact the directors with any specific questions.
CHILDREN’S CHORUS ONLY (ages 8-12)
- Saturday Jan 22 1- 2 PM (doors open at 12:15 to learn audition dance, children’s auditions start at 1 PM)
- Callbacks are not required for the children’s choir
ALL Other Roles (ages 13+)
- Saturday Jan 22 from 3-5 pm (doors open at 2 PM to learn audition dance, auditions start at 3 PM)
- Sunday Jan 23 from 3-5 pm (doors open at 2 PM to learn audition dance, auditions start at 3 PM)
- Callbacks if needed will be Monday Jan 24 starting at 7 PM
- Callbacks will consist of singing songs from Joseph
- More details will be provided if you are called back
- Rehearsals Start: Thursday Feb 03, 2022 at Actorsingers Hall 219 Lake Street Nashua NH
- Sunday night from 6-10 pm
- Tuesday and Thursday nights from 7-10 pm
- Tech week May 15 – May 22 , 2022 – mandatory attendance
Notes for Children’s Chorus:
- We believe rehearsal commitment will be less for children’s choir (ages 8-12) up until tech week.
- Children’s choir will likely not be scheduled past 8 PM except for tech week
- Children’s choir may be called earlier than 6 PM on Sunday’s but no earlier than 5 PM
Friday May 20, 2022 @ 8 pm
Saturday May 21, 2022 @ 2 pm & 8 pm
Sunday May 22, 2022 @ 2 pm
Keefe Center for the Arts
117 Elm Street, Nashua, NH
* You must be at least 13 to audition, except for Children’s chorus ages 8-12
Casting all ages (13+), races, gender identities, shapes, and sizes
(*you must be age 13 by opening night May 20, 2022)
Children’s Choir – ages 8-12
Important info for all who are auditioning
An accompanist will be provided. All music should be brought in a hard cover, 3 ring binder (no staples) and music clearly labeled for the accompanist. While we’ve only requested certain sections (cuts) of songs for you to audition with, it’s important you bring/are familiar with the whole song you’re choosing to audition with, because we may reference or ask you to sing something from a different section of the song. The Joseph/Narrator cuts are complete, there is no need to bring the whole “Close Every Door” or “Potiphar” part if you’re wishing to be considered for those roles.
Please sing the cut provided of “Close Every Door.” You may bring one additional song that showcases your voice if you choose, but the cut provided is mandatory. If you choose to bring a second song of your choice, please select 16 bars that best showcases what you feel you want us to hear.
Please sing the cut provided of “Potiphar.” You may bring one additional song that showcases your voice if you choose, but the cut provided is mandatory. If you choose to bring a second song of your choice, please select 16 bars that best showcases what you feel you want us to hear.
For those wishing to be considered for Male roles (Including Brothers and Men’s ensemble roles)
Please prepare 32 bars of a song that best showcases your range (we have needs in both extremes – tenor and bass).
For those wishing to be considered for Female roles (Including Wives and Women’s ensemble roles)
Please prepare 32 bars of a song that best showcases your range (we have needs in both extremes – soprano and alto).
For children wishing to be considered for the Children’s Chorus – please prepare 1 minute of a song that you feel best showcases the range of your singing voice. Bring a song you feel comfortable singing that shows off what you can do!
Please prepare a second song that show cases acting of your choice
A video of the choreographer doing the audition dance at full speed, as well as a video of her doing a break down of the dance is at links below. Learning the dance or simply viewing the video prior to auditions is not required but strongly encouraged! This dance will also be taught and run through by the choreographer starting one hour prior to auditions, and then will be taught and run through repeatedly throughout both nights by a trained dance assistant. Please wear comfortable clothing and shoes that you can dance in.
Children’s chorus audition dance – NOTE the dance videos mention an incorrect date, please refer to audition dates in this page
13+ audition dance – NOTE the dance videos mention an incorrect date, please refer to audition dates in this page
In addition, all those auditioning will be asked on their audition form if they can do any dance spins (such as Fouettes, 3+ Pirouette spins, etc.), body stretches or contortions (such as splits, back bends, etc.), any dance leaps (Split “Switch” Leap, Calypso leap, Toe-Touch Leap, etc.), or any other interesting dance talents! You WILL be asked to demonstrate any listed special talents at the time of your audition, so don’t forget to stretch! If you cannot do any of the above, do not fear, you will still be considered for roles in the show!
But above all, have fun with your dance audition! If you stumble or mess up that’s okay, just smile through it and be yourself. Jen is so excited to meet you all! Break a leg!
ages 13 +
- Narrator: A character not of the time or place of the action. The Narrator tells the story through word and song, guiding the audience gently through the story of Joseph and his brothers, usually gives meaning to the story with his/her words. In early productions this character was usually played by a man; later productions have featured a woman in the role.
- Jacob: The father of twelve sons, his favourite being Joseph. At times he may appear unfair and shallow, but he is, more importantly, the prophet who recognizes the future and the calling of Joseph, thus saving the House of Israel. Usually doubles as Potiphar.
- Joseph: Eleventh son of Jacob. Obviously his father’s favourite, Joseph early on shows a talent for interpreting dreams and telling the future. This gets him into trouble with his brothers when he predicts his future will include ruling over the other eleven. However, it saves his life when in Egypt he correctly interprets Pharaoh’s dreams. In the end he has risen to a great position of power, but he still forgives his brothers and brings his family to Egypt to partake of the bounty he has accumulated there.
- Ishmaelites: Men of the desert, they buy Joseph as a slave, take him to Egypt, and sell him to Potiphar.
- Potiphar: A powerful and rich Egyptian, Potiphar purchases Joseph and puts him to work in his household, where he soon realizes that Joseph is honest, hard-working, and a great addition to his pool of help. When he grows suspicious of Mrs. Potiphar and Joseph, however, he grows angry and has Joseph thrown into prison. Usually played by the actor playing Jacob.
- Mrs. Potiphar: Beautiful and scheming, Mrs. Potiphar tries to seduce Joseph, but is unsuccessful. However, she does manage to rip off much of his clothing just as her husband comes into the room, thus condemning him to prison. Also plays one of the wives.
- Baker: One of Pharaoh’s servants, the Baker is in prison with Joseph who correctly interprets his dreams and predicts that he will be put to death. Played by one of the brothers.
- Butler: Another of Pharaoh’s servants, the Butler is also in prison with Joseph who also correctly interprets his dreams, this time that he will be released and taken back into Pharaoh’s household. It is the Butler who tells Pharaoh about Joseph and his uncanny ability with dreams. Played by one of the brothers.
- Pharaoh: The most powerful man in Egypt, Pharaoh is considered a god on earth. When Joseph interprets his dreams, he promotes him to one of the highest positions in his government. In most productions, Pharaoh is portrayed as an Elvis Presley-style figure. Sometimes played by one of the brothers.
- Joseph’s Eleven Brothers: Although acting usually as a group, they each have their own different personalities, talents, and flaws. As a group they sell Joseph into slavery, but as individuals they deal with the following years and how they can make amends. They sing and dance their way through many situations and places. The brothers also double as Egyptians and servants of Potiphar.
- Reuben: Eldest son of Jacob. Takes the lead on “One More Angel in Heaven”
- Simeon: Second son of Jacob. Takes the lead on “Those Canaan Days”
- Levi: Third son of Jacob.
- Judah: Fourth son of Jacob. Takes the lead on “Benjamin Calypso”.
- Dan: Fifth son of Jacob.
- Naphtali: Sixth son of Jacob.
- Gad: Seventh son of Jacob.
- Asher: Eighth son of Jacob.
- Issachar: Ninth son of Jacob.
- Zebulun: Tenth son of Jacob.
- Benjamin: Twelfth son of Jacob. Joseph accuses him of stealing the golden cup.
- The Wives: The wives of Jacob. The actresses playing the wives also double as Egyptians and servants of Potiphar.
- Ensemble: (Men & Women) – ages 13+
- Children’s chorus: (Boys & Girls) – ages 8-12
Please submit the Joseph Audition google form BEFORE you come to audition, when you check-in you will be assigned an audition number.
Link to Joseph Audition google form is here
*Once you submit the form you will receive an email from google forms with the title Joseph Audition form, please save this e-mail as it will have a link for you to update your audition form if changes need to be made.
DEADLINE – Sunday Jan 23, 2022 at 3 PM
Please use the on-line form to submit your video audition (on-line form here)
The on-line form will ask those who video audition to upload
- video singing song 1
- video singing song 2
- video doing the audition dance
Any questions should be directed to Joseph2022@actorsingers.org
Actorsingers membership fee
If you are cast in Joseph and The Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat in order to appear on stage you must be an Actorsingers member, Actorsingers membership fee is $20 per year for 16 and older. If you are under 16 you must join as a family membership which is $30 for the family.
JOSEPH AND THE AMAZING TECHNICOLOR DREAMCOAT Synopsis
The irresistible family musical about the trials and triumphs of Joseph, Israel’s favorite son. <source www.themusicalcompany.com>
JOSEPH AND THE AMAZING TECHNICOLOR DREAMCOAT
is presented by arrangement with The Musical Company, LP,
229 West 28th Street, 11th Floor, New York, NY 10001.
www.themusicalcompany.com Phone: (212) 598-2204.